Russia is the country with the 2nd highest number of Indian students studying medical from. While there are many advantages of studying MBBS in Russia, which makes it the preferred choice of so many students, it certainly is not without any shortcomings. Most of the disadvantages of studying MBBS in Russia arise when the student fails to adjust to the new place. There are many universities which do not teach the entire course in English medium. Therefore, you must select a university which teaches the 6-year in English medium.
Here are the disadvantages of studying MBBS in Russia:
- Climate: Some students find it hard to adjust to the cold climate or weather of Russia. The temperature will be below 0° for about 3-4 months. However, even when the temperature is below 0°, the students won’t have any problem when they are inside any building/car/bus. This is because all the buildings are centrally heated and the vehicles are air conditioned.
- Bilingual Course: There are many universities providing education in the bilingual way to the students. This means that some years will be taught in the English language and the rest will be in the Russian language. This causes problems for the students. It is better to study in Mordovia State University and Ulyanovsk State University which provide 6-year English medium studies to the students, however, the local language is taught to the students.
- Local Language: Going to any foreign country will mean that you will have to adjust yourself according to the new country. The students are taught the local language (Russian) as a part of the curriculum. If the student takes interest in the subject, then they will have a good command on the language and this will help them in their day to day life and also at the time of hospital visits. However, if the student does not show interest in the local language, then he will lose confidence and will struggle while interacting with the patients.
- Duration: The course duration for MBBS in Russia is 5.8 years. This is longer than the duration in some other countries like Kazakhstan, Bangladesh and Kyrgyzstan.
- European Curriculum: The curriculum taught by all European countries is excellent and it focuses on overall growth and development of the student without putting the students in immense pressure. This, however, is a problem for some students as they don’t feel motivated enough. Lack of good attitude can lead to failure among students.
- Cheating Agents: A lot of times, the students are being given the wrong information by the agents in India. This is why you should do research and contact only the consultancies which have a direct tie-up with the universities.
Despite the disadvantages of studying MBBS in Russia, it is still the no.1 destination in terms of the number of Indian students going for MBBS abroad. MBBS in Russia is a good option and Indian students have been graduating from Russia for more than 40 years now. The advantages of doing MBBS from Russia outweigh the disadvantages.